Wednesday 26 July 2017

MY CAPSULE WARDROBE

Hi everyone,

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you would recall my telling you that my husband and I are great aficionados of classical music and quite often spend our Saturday evenings at the Sydney Opera House attending a concert, an opera or the ballet.   We always looking forward to these evenings when you can leave the real world behind and just relax and enjoy the music and let it work its magic.
Enjoying a pre-concert drink at Sydney Opera House forecourt
We have tremendous respect for art and in a tribute art and the people who make it possible for us to enjoy, we always make an effort to dress for the occasion to the point that, if during our travels, we plan to attend a concert, we pack appropriate attire just for that.  Call me a snob but I cringe when I see people wearing shorts and sandals inside the opera house or a concert hall.
Attending Macbeth at Zurich Opera House
You would not believe me but I spend far less time choosing what I will wear to the Opera than to the gym, I am kidding, of course.  On a serious note, I know exactly what I am going to wear on the night.  The secret to this phenomenon is the presence of what I call "A capsule wardrobe" consisting of pieces of clothing that are not subject to a current trend or fab and don't belong to any particular style or era but to quote Susie Faux who first coined this phrase: "A collection of a few essential items of clothing that don't go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers, and coats, which can then be augmented with seasonal pieces".
Black midi-skirt-black-cashmere sweater-long-black-coat-high-heel-shoes
Think about a classic black tuxedo jacket, a white silk blouse or a simple but oh so chic LBD or simple black cashmere sweater.  As for accessories, a string of white natural or faux pearls is all you need.
"
A CAPSULE WARDROBE IS A COLLECTION OF A FEW ESSENTIAL ITEMS OF CLOTHING THAT DON'T GO OUT OF FASHION
"
It is worth investing in a pair of good quality black pants, preferably with a straight or slightly slim leg shape that you can wear time and time again without ever looking out of style.
Black midi-skirt-black-cashmere sweater-long-black-coat-high-heel-shoes
Add to the list, a classical jacket or blazer in black or navy.  Quite a while ago I bought myself a navy jacket with silk lapels from Zara which I have worn numerous times to all sorts of events and it always looks good.
Black midi-skirt-black-cashmere sweater-long-black-coat-high-heel-shoes
If you click on this link, you will see me wearing it to the Opera House few months ago paired with  a lace black top and the pair of black pants which I mentioned earlier.
Black midi-skirt-black-cashmere sweater-long-black-coat-high-heel-shoes
A black slim cut or pencil skirt is another great staple to have in your wardrobe.  Not only does it look very elegant but it can be worn with almost any kind of a shirt, blouse or cami, a pencil skirt tends to make us look a few inches slimmer and a few inches taller, more so when worn with heels, which is great, right?
Black midi-skirt-black-cashmere sweater-long-black-coat-high-heel-shoes
And that brings me to the last but definitely not least item on my list, shoes.  In fact, I should have made them item number one.  As I always say, never underestimate the power of shoes, they will either make your outfit or break it.
Black midi-skirt-black-cashmere sweater-long-black-coat-high-heel-shoes
If you only want to spend money on one good pair of shoes, I suggest a pair of black elegant shoes which will let you get away with almost anything you wear.   Sometimes, if I feel like wearing black from head to toe is too much I would wear shoes in some other colour.
Black midi-skirt-black-cashmere sweater-long-black-coat-high-heel-shoes
You don't have to have all of the above, invest in pieces that you would enjoy wearing time and time again and in which you look your best and feel comfortable.  It is so much easier to come up with a good outfit when you already have the key elements in your wardrobe.  Certainly, you don't have to have them all, choose the pieces that you suit you best and that you would feel comfortable wearing time and time again.

I am wearing:  skirt - Alexander Wang, sweater - Cos, shoes - Bali, coat - Beck&Bridge, jewellery - Georg Jensen

Do you own a capsule wardrobe and if yes, what it is consist of?

Anna
XO

Linking up with Posh Classy Mom, Fashion Should be Fun, Nancy's Fashion Style, Tina Spink Friday, Not Dead Yet Style

No comments:

Post a Comment